Thursday, November 02, 2006

Michael the Archangel


I never thought I would be one of "those people" who went on and on about their pets, especially their dead pets. But Mikey RIP plus two weeks has come and gone, and today this was in the Daily Lectionary:

And war broke out in heaven; Michael and his angels fought against the dragon. The dragon and his angels fought back, but they were defeated, and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. Revelation 12:7-8

Far be it from me to suggest that John of Patmos had my dog in mind. But he was known in some circles as "Michael the Archangel" and "Michael the Good." And I love the image of him, sword in paw, kicking ass on some cosmic level.

Above is a photo of Michael the Good with Petra, taken about two weeks before he died. Look at those eyes. The house is both filled with his presence and achingly empty.

There. Hopefully that's out of my system.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The downside of living with dogs is that they don't live as long as us. The upside is that this means we can know more of them in our lives. As each animal teaches us something completely different to the last animal we end up with sadness but also a great store of wisdom.

Do you have other dogs? You must never allow yourself to be in a positon of having no dogs in the house. Whenever, one of our dogs gets to the age of 10 we welcome another one into our home. This makes sure that the older one has plenty of time to teach the new dog about all the wicked things that really annoy owners and how to get as many treats as possible, as often as possible.

Magdalene6127 said...

You know, MadPriest, I don't have a dog at present, and I hesitate to run out to find one because Michael is really irreplaceable. It would be like trying to replace a child.

I'm not averse to the idea, and in a way it would be an ideal time to do it. I think I need more time though.

I love what you have to say about dogs teaching us. Michael taught me empathy.

Blessings, Mags

Anonymous said...

Mags

Of all the things people say to me as I visit the good people of my parish the most stupid, unreasonable, ridiculous, daft, biting your own nose off to spite your face, thing that I hear is - "I'm not getting another dog because my last one was irreplaceable."

YOU ARE NOT REPLACING MICHAEL!!!!
You wouldn't talk like that about a human being. If you lost a good friend you wouldn't refuse to make new friends because your old friend was ireplaceable.

Look, I'm not arguing with you. Just go out now and get yourself a dog.

And remember, you're a good owner, so every minute you don't have a dog a dog somewhere is going without a good owner. What if he or she was chosen by a bad owner before you get there?

Not that I want to put any pressure on you.

Magdalene6127 said...

MadPriest, every woman needs a certain number of people in her life who tells it like it is.

I believe you have stepped into that role. Thanks.

Blessings, Mags

PS: Don't go so hard on the new PB. Let us girls have a celebration. By her fruits we shall know her... let's wait for them.