Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Mea Culpa. Mea Culpa. Mea Maxima Culpa.


I am a sinner.

I just found myself clicking on a link on the New York Times Website to see whether the Republican or the Democrat had prevailed in the Texas 22nd Congressional District-- Tom Delay's old seat.

It was the Democrat. I smirked with glee.

I am a sinner.

Sisters and Brothers, it is a Blue America this morning. And I am happy about that. I am an unrepentant liberal. But this joy in another person's defeat... this is not an attractive characteristic.

We Democrats are no better or worse than Republicans (though we are right. On the issues, I mean. Correct.) What I am saying is, a razor thin majority gave the Republicans the feeling in 2000 and 2004 that they could do whatever the hell they wanted, because the opinions 49.5% of US Citizens just didn't matter to them. Please, please let us not make the same, arrogant mistake.

Let us really reach across the aisle (even though the demon in me does not want the Democrats to allow that turncoat Lieberman his seniority).

Let us really try to mend fences (even though my shriveled little heart is rejoicing at the thought of the comeuppance those idiots have received).

In short, let us act better than our worst impulses.

Really.

I mean it.

2 comments:

steve said...

What a lovely post. I, too, would qualify as a sinner under your definition. Yet I think we only fall into the trap of hubris you described if we go beyond enjoying this victory to losing interest or compassion for those who disagree with us.

I join you in your prayer that we might all "...act better than our worst impulses."

more cows than people said...

Amen.