Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I'm It! Seven Random Things Meme

Hipchickmamma tagged me for this festival of randomosity.... here goes!

1. I went to college with the daughter of George Bush Sr., when he was Vice President. Never met Doro, that I know of. I was selected to sing the National Anthem at the commencement ceremony, at which 41 was scheduled to give the commencement address and receive some kind of honor. But being the little radical Democrat in training I was, and convinced as I was that Reagan had us on a sure path to Mutually Assured Destruction, naturally I wore a white armband in protest of the nuclear policies of the administration. (Just as an aside, it has occurred to me in later years that the policies of the Reagan Administration resulted in the crumbling of the Iron Curtain, the dismantling of the Berlin wall. And a lot of other bad stuff, I might add. But one ought to give credit where it's due.)

2. When Larry-O was a year old I took him shopping on Worth Avenue in Palm Beach, where we met Arnold Schwarzenegger. He took Larry in his arms and said, "Hey, big guy!" That's all.

3. When I was little my brother and I played "priest" with flattened bits of Wonder Bread as the communion wafers. I also dressed up like the illustrations in the "Lives of the Saints" book my mother gave me. I also dressed up like Nancy Sinatra, and made my mother take pictures of me. These pictures still exist. We will not be discussing this any further. We are finished.

4. My first part in a theatrical performance was as a high school freshman. I played "Sister Sophia" in "The Sound of Music." My math teacher told me he had never seen a more nun-like person-- including the real live nuns who taught at my school. I'm still no sure what he meant.

5. I have passed along the crazy love of "All About Eve" to Petra. She is currently writing a book report on "All About All About Eve." I kid you not.

6. I can ride a horse, sail a small boat and swim a mile in the ocean. Not all at the same time though.

7. When I told my mother I was leaving the Catholic church because I felt a call to ministry, her response was, "Couldn't you wait until I'm dead?" I didn't. She came around.

Tag yourselves, people! Go!

4 comments:

Barbara B. said...

wow--this was totally fascinating and cool!!!

Unknown said...

That is just silly.
:)

revhipchick said...

great play!

it was quite an interesting peek into your life!

thanks!

Jane R said...

Loved it! Fascinating. You've had an interesting life! (Not that we ever doubted it.) I got tagged a while back with the 8 Random Things meme, which is more or less the same thing. In case you missed it, here it is.