Monday, December 04, 2006

Peace, Peace, Peace


I was glad when they said to me,
"Let us go to the house of the LORD!"
Our feet are standing
within your gates, O Jerusalem.
Jerusalem—built as a city
that is bound firmly together.
To it the tribes go up,
the tribes of the LORD,
as was decreed for Israel,
to give thanks to the name of the LORD.
For there the thrones for judgment were set up,
the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:
"May they prosper who love you.
Peace be within your walls,
and security within your towers."
For the sake of my relatives and friends
I will say, "Peace be within you."
For the sake of the house of the LORD our God,
I will seek your good.

~Psalm 122:1-9

Saturday night Petra and I heard a wonderful concert by our local symphony orchestra (whose executive director just happens to be the ex-Mr. Magdalene). It was a holiday program that featured, among other more standard fare, the music of the Burns Sisters. These local luminaries have been singing together since they were little girls, three sisters in a family of twelve. They have a really phenomenal Christmas album, Tradition, from which they played a number of selections.

One of the particular joys of this concert was the fact that it was Petra, who adores the Burns sisters (especially Annie), who urged her dad to bring them to play this concert. Her role in it was even mentioned in Press coverage. Though she tends towards shyness (except when on stage), I think this pleased her. Another joy was that my attendance at this concert marked a milestone. I have not been to a concert of this orchestra since my marriage ended, and I had gone into it with some anxiety... fears about old hurts and sadness, you know the drill. Anyway, I can say with deep joy and gratitude that my experience was one of real enjoyment and pride-- pride over my daughter and her love of music, pride in my ex and all that he has accomplished in his life's calling, and even pride in myself for the long, long way I have come in three years.

Also, I ran into someone who told me I look twenty years younger.

One of the songs on the program was taken from a fragment of this psalm. "Shaloo Shalom Y'rushalayim," or "pray for the peace of Jerusalem." The music was gorgeous, and I reveled in the fact that my life is tending towards greater peace within the walls of my home and my heart.

Peace.

No comments: