Monday, December 18, 2006

Dream Jesus


I have been reading Lauren Winner's memoir Girl Meets God, which accounts in part for my silence of the past several days. Winner's book chronicles her embrace of Orthodox Judaism during her college years, to be followed by her baptism as an Anglican just a few years later.

I will write more about Girl Meets God after I have finished reading it (it won't be long... the book is strangely addictive). But I think Winner's writing is seeping into my subconscious. She narrates at one point a dream she had about a Daniel Day Lewis-lookalike Jesus, rescuing her from underwater captivity by mermaids. I am always interested in mermaids; in fact, the short, rough novel I wrote during November's National Novel Writing Month has the title Mermaid Prayers.

But under Winner's influence (I suspect), I have had a dream about Jesus. Perhaps it's odd that someone who is professionally religious does not dream about Jesus all the time, but I don't, and I don't know anyone who does (unless they are not mentioning it... are you not mentioning it?).

Anywho (as dear nonheretical More Cows would say), here's my dream. Jesus was repairing cars. He had long hair. He was young and good-looking with long hair (really long. Petra long... which is to say, middle of the back). We had a brief conversation about I know not what while he wiped his hands on a rag. In the next scene he and I were tubing down a winding river through what looked like the Delaware Water Gap.

And there you have it. Revelation, Magdalene style.

(For the above image I thank Jesus of the Week 2006, ever providing us with images such as this, also called in some quarters "Handsome Devil" or "Hottie Jesus.")

No comments: