Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Pope and Islam

Generally speaking, as a former Roman Catholic who has always regarded the former Cardinal Ratzinger with something between horror and fascination, I am always ready for the man to do and/or say something appalling. In my professional life I am always cautious, naturally, about excoriating representatives of communions other than my own; it's just not cool. But I have been seething all week about the pope's apparently idiotic quoting of a medieval Byzantine emperor on the evils of Islam.

However. Thank goodness for Socinian, who quotes the pope's speech in context. For the first time I feel that I understand what the man was trying to say. I understand that a slam of Islam itself was not the intention of the speech.

I still think the use of the quote was misguiuded. But it probably wasn't evil.

Something else for my tombstone: "She was misguided. But probably not evil."

3 comments:

Suzer said...

Hi Magdalene! Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'll respond over there, but thought I'd let you know I'm enjoying your blog, too.

Don't know what to make of the Pope's comments myself. From what I've read (and I'm not a big fan of his to begin with), it doesn't seem there was anything hurtful meant by what he said. I hope to have a chance to read more about it soon. The apparent furor of Muslims over the comment mystefies me -- when Islam is portrayed as a violent religion (which I believe it has elements of, but is not defined by), the reaction from Muslims is violence. I don't get it. I presume, though, that the violent reaction is really just a small part of Muslim society, and that the media is not presenting the whole of Muslim society (which, admittedly, is enormous).

Blessings to you...

Susan

Suzer said...

Um...that's "mystifies." :S

Magdalene6127 said...

I knew what you meant. ;-)

I have decided to pull out my copy of Karen Armstrong's "A History of God." I have also decided to start reading the Q'ran (as soon as I find my copy). Not sure what this Presby pastor can learn or contribute to the conversation. I just know I feel the need to know more than i do.

BTW, LOVE the Indigo Girls! Take care-- Mags