Wednesday, January 16, 2008
The Year I Was 25
Wyldth1ng tagged me for this meme... to recollect the year I was 25 years old. I turned 25 on April 27, 1986. Just as a refresher, that's the first year "LA Law" was on TV. Reagan was in his second term. Robert Palmer was on MTV with the scrumptious "Addicted to Love" video. Yes, that long ago. Shut up.
1. The year I turned 25 was the fourth year of my marriage, and a year in which I was pursuing a career as a professional singer. This means that I took voice lessons and spent a lot of time alone in my apartment practicing (on Beacon Street in Beantown) while my husband spent a lot of time at his law firm. I was very lonely. But there were nights in Cambridge listening to jazz. There was the unfettered freedom of being able to stay out as late as we wanted. And I think we were really in love. Which is kind of cool.
2. Because we lived in the city, we had one car which we hardly ever used; we walked most places; my husband commuted to his job (he was an attorney in those days) by foot.
3. We had a landlord who was a commercial airline pilot. He would be out of town for several days at a time. While our apartment was really nice (old building, high ceilings, fireplaces in both the living room and the bedroom), our landlord was kind of absent-minded. He would forget to have oil delivered for the heater. We would have no heat until he got back into town. That wasn't so good.
4. On Valentine's day, near the end of my 25th year, my husband and I decided to try to have a baby. A few weeks later I was touring with a choir as their soloist; we had a gig in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I was singing the alto solos in the Vivaldi "Gloria." While we were in Puerto Rico I drank a lot of rum, and we went swimming under a waterfall in the rainforest.
5. Naturally, the whole time I was swigging rum and cavorting under waterfalls, I was pregnant with Larry-O.
All in all, a pretty good year.