Monday, November 05, 2007

10 Random Things


Wyldth1ng tagged me! Here goes:


1. When I was in first grade I wore a rosary on my belt, I was that serious about my spiritual life.


2. As a child, I saw the move The Sound of Music 13 times in the theater (do you sense a theme emerging?).


3. I wanted to be a Poor Clare (that is, a cloistered contemplative nun) after reading "A Right To Be Merry" by Sister Mary Frances. The title is from a quote of St. Francis of Assisi, who said, "My poor ladies have as great a right to be merry as anyone in the world." This was in response to someone criticizing Poor Clares because they permitted laughter as an exception to the rule of silence. I wrote to Sr. Mary F's monastery (in Roswell, NM) and got her to assign a postulant to be my penpal (like I said...). For her consecration I sent her 20 yards of unbleached muslin for her habit.


4. When I was 15 I fell seriously in love with a (gay) boy, discovered my hormones, and back-burnered the whole celibate thing for a while.


5. I started college as a pre-med.


6. I ended college as a philosophy major.


7. Naturally, the next step for me was to sell insurance.


8. I had my call to ministry while driving down Route 128 (outside Boston), listening to the Amy Grant song, "Lead Me On." I kid you not.


9. From call to ordination: 14 years. (This had something to do with the whole Roman Catholic thing).


10. When I was in college I acted on stage opposite Gordon Macrae in Camelot. He was a sweetie pie.


Not nearly as interesting as some I've read... but they're my random things, this afternoon.
PS: I tag Diane, Barbara B., Milton, Jan and Bishop Laura.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are ten wonderfully random things.
Total logical progression of jobs, to me.
:)

more cows than people said...

i never knew so much of this.... thanks.

Barbara B. said...

Starting college pre-med and ending as philosphy major -- how cool is that?!

I see I was tagged. I'll get to that soonish! :)

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing--and for the tag, which I will get to asap (I also owe RevDrKate's Maggie some interview answers....)

Prayers please today as I finish up the Toronto lecture (flying out tomorrow) I wish I'd finished yesterday, and stress about the AAR one I had then hoped to work on today....

Iris said...

Amy Grant's Lead Me On CD is one of my favorites, so I think that's great!

Jan said...

What wonderful things about you! Now that you've tagged me, I have no idea if I can be as interesting as everyone else. I have to remember "RANDOM"!

I'm really impressed that you majored in philosophy. I always found that difficult.

Jan said...

Now I played. It was harder than I'd expected, but fun!

Diane M. Roth said...

this is great. I was an insurance underwriter, don't you know.

wyld tagged me too.:)

so I have ten random things...

this one is going around like wildfire!