Thursday, September 06, 2007

Maternal Instincts: 1


I have been getting up every morning to walk with a good friend. It is getting to the point where I miss it if I don't do it... it makes me feel wonderful, sets me up for a good day physically and psychologically.

Today I decided to stay home. It was Petra's first day of high school.

It was a good move. My very bright, reasonably organized daughter lost her schedule. She also lost her key (with which she let herself into the house last night). She had a mini meltdown. Then she said. "I'm sorry Mom, that I've been so... you, know... this morning." She said this with an earnest, plaintive gaze and tone.

I love this girl. She is off, with a healthy lunch she made herself, the schedule (Mom found it) and a key (Mom's key). She got into a car with BFF and NIB (Best Friend Forever and Nearly Invisible Boyfriend... though he does kind of look like Harry Potter), and BFF's dad drove them off into a brave new world.

I love this girl.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

It is a brave new world. How exciting and terrifying.

LittleMary said...

best of luck petra! i remember those first days of high school. yikes! the neighbor here started high school yesterday too, i asked what she thought, if she liked it, and she said "too many people, too, too, too many people." well, they will have to get used to it!

June Butler said...

I love this girl.

Of course you do, Mags. She's lovable, as I can see from the picture. And you're her mama! - as we say in the South.

God bless her days in high school.

Jane R said...

And you are one lovable momma. Blessings to you both! Happy beginning of school. May beautiful paths open before Petra -- and you!

Diane M. Roth said...

first day of high school! what a milestone. You made the right choice.

Rev SS said...

What a blessed girl to have you for a mamma! And, I love her name! May she be a rock as she traverses the landscape of highschool!

Magdalene6127 said...

She had a great first two days. And then last night she and I played and sang for a local outdoor festival-type thing, and a bunch of sophomores were wildly applauding her.

I think it's gonna be ok.

Thanks for the good wishes everybody! Now if i could only hear from Larry-O at college...